1/2 Rhode Island Red 1/2 Orpington Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Omnifowl, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
    I have three Buff Orpington hens to produce meat birds with and was given a Rhode Island Red rooster. So I have let him have the run of the yard.
    I have hatched out several eggs from the Orpingtons and luckily most are hens. But I have a 1/2 and 1/2 Rooster now maturing. He is bigger than my RIR roo. Is there any concern (genetically speaking) with letting my new 1/2 and 1/2 be the one to fertilize the Orpington eggs so I will get a better, closer to pure Orpington meat bird?

2. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
    Whaaaaat???? Nobody even has an opinion on this aspect of breeding? Can someone at least suggest where I might post this question to get a better response?

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    No worries... if he's what you want and you want a higher % Orp cross, then use him and get rid of his sire...

4. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
    Thank you.

I'm sorry that I had to whine but I was surprised that there has not been a myriad of opinions.

I guess the lesson to learn is that chickens aren't that complicated and folks figure the answer was obvious.

Thank you again, you mysterious Anatidaephiliac.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by