1:2 Rooster/Hen ratio

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkiechick05, Nov 8, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Hello all!

I was wondering if two or three hens to one silkie rooster would cause issues such as bare back and what not...

???

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the individuals. Younger birds tend to be more destructive to each other. Hens that are laying regularly tend to get bred more and young roosters tend to breed more and be rougher.

I have a 5 year old roo in with two 6 year old hens, for the last two years, with no bare backs or problems. He's very good to them. So it is possible, you may have to just try and see how it works out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    oh gosh. they are only like eight weeks old!!!

How many hens would "satisfy" one roo??

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Usually 8-12 hens per roo is good, but even if there are 300 hens, the roo can pick a few favorites and damage the feathers on her.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Look into chicken saddles to protect their backs, you can make them for cheap, there are pictures on my page.

Silkies are pretty mellow as far as breeds go, you might be ok. Even if he is a little rough the feathers do grow back. [​IMG]

6. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Well, i am going to show, so i guess i am going to have to get some saddles lol

;D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by