1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1/2 Straw and 1/2 Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SteveBaz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    In getting ready for the girls to start laying how do you folks feel about straw/hay compared to wood shavings?
    They have always been in wood shavings.

Should I add a small amount and let them figure it out or try and buildup a side with straw?

No Straw at all and continue with just the shavings?
    They have 3 nest boxes 3 sides wood.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I like to put straw in the nest boxes, and pine shavings everywhere else. The hens seem to like to make that "nest shape" and the straw is more workable for them. The shavings don't hold a nice bowl shape like the straw does.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I do not like straw/hay because:
    -when it gets wet, it stays wet= mold, gross, plus wet = frozen
    -chickens love to peck, scratch at hay= mess
    -hay compresses in to a giant layer os wet, mucky yuck

Shavings stay dry. They are clean and dry. Dry.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've never used anything but pine shavings on the floor of the coop and hay (not straw) in the nestboxes. I don't expect the hay to get wet, because it's in a covered nestbox within the coop. I change it out once a week just to be as sanitary as possible.

My hens are so used to this combination that they won't even enter a box that has pine shavings in it. I have tried, because as winter sets in hay is in short supply around here.

I like the nice neat nests they make of the hay. Toss in a couple of golf balls and they are all set.

IMO, straw or hay on the floor of the coop is a PITA. It's much heavier to shovel out during coop clean ups than the pine shavings are.

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Its in the brooder that is 5' X 5' X 36" complete with ramp door, side door 3' X 30" and egg drop door. No moisture in there at all. The Perches have poop board under them and not any moisture build-up

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In my larger coop I replaced the covered kitty litter boxes that I used to use for nestboxes with these:

[​IMG]

I absolutely love them. I didn't buy the whole set up, just the caps with the attached perches. I used 5 gallon buckets that we already had laying around. Someone once commented that they were too expensive. Well, even at the dollar store covered kitty litter boxes cost me $14 each. The fowl stuff ones attach to the wall, something I can't do with the kitty litter boxes and that saves floor space.

7. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Quote:Looked at those at the show last weekend. I think we are going to try them out. Too small for Brahmas but the Sussex and other breeds will work well in them I think.

8. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Looked at those at the show last weekend. I think we are going to try them out. Too small for Brahmas but the Sussex and other breeds will work well in them I think.

Why do they lids look so small? I know the size of a 5 Gal bucket but they just look tiny??

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They are not as tiny as they look. In the coop I use them in I have speckled sussex, turkens, an EE, a minorca, sex links and probably the biggest bird in that coop - a turken/brahma cross. None have any trouble using them. They do come with a template on how to increase the size of the opening for larger birds. I know that my smaller brahma hens can fit in them (the brahmas have to check out everything the younger birds have in their coop [​IMG] ); but my larger 9 lb. brahma hens? I doubt it.

10. helenmar

helenmar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    gainford,county durham
    I have been using hay and shavings in my beds-they seem to like to make the round nest with the hay.I read that straw was warmer for winter though? Does anyone know if this is true? I am reluctant to change to straw as my silkies are always pulling their tummy feathers out when they are broody and I thought straw may be un comfortable for them.
    Also they all slept together last year in one coop box.This year they have their own beds but i was thinking i may put them all together again for warmth?I was also thinking of trying the silkies in furry cat beds as they dont soil their beds like my ex batt.Will give it a go i guess and see what the girls think!
    I think I may spoil them too much!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by