1/2" vs 1" galvenized hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Terrie Mac, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    We like to sit outside and watch the chick antics in the late afternoon and I was wondering if using 1" in the run for better viewing would be just as good (safe) as the 1/2". Also, any advantage or disadvantage to using the plastic coated wire?

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I based mine more on strength of the wire. Mine is actually a mixture of 1/2 and 1" for the run only. I only have a small run in case I need to keep them locked up. Otherwise they run around the yard all day.

3. kelehe

kelehe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I chose 1/2" for my run, top to bottom, to prevent rats from getting in. They can get through a hole larger than 1/2". We live in an urban/suburban area and I am very predator conscious: cats, rats, raccoons, possums, etc. We can see through the 1/2" mesh just fine.

4. I just finished a new run and coop. I used the 1/2" by 1" wire as I dislike the appearance of the regular 1/2" hardware cloth. I considered the 1" but I think you could have reach throughs. You can see through the 1/2" by 1" much better. I have had good size rat/oak snakes around the farm and they could go through the 1" square wire.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might try painting the wire a dark color, black, real dark green, something like that. The wire seems to disappear and you can see through it much better. A roller is probably the easiest way to paint it.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My intent is to keep the snakes out. I do have rat snakes and copperheads. It will be 1/4 inch for my coop. I'll have a predator proof area, including the underside of the coop, for the hens to come out of the coop in the morning till I get out to let them out to roam. All my cloth will be the 1/4 inch. Now that I think about it, maybe 1/2 will work. I'll just have to decide if a the snakes can get through. I have one mama snake that thinks we're friends. She just has no fear of me, but she does not like Morgan, me dog.

7. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have 1/4" Hardware cloth over my entire coop and I can view through it just fine. IMHO the smaller the hole the less critters that can reach in, squeeze in and get in.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    1/2" is standard and is quite a bit stronger than 1". I would use it everywhere. If you run is closed off at night, then possibly one inch would work there, but
    I would not use it if predators are a possibility.

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    raccoons can reach through 1 in. I use 1/2 in. but I'm paranoid about my ducks.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    some say to use deer/bird netting in loose spirals around the coop/run. Snakes try to crawl thru and get caught in the mesh and die. You could do this outside the perimeter of coop and /or run. The downside is cutting dead snakes out of the mesh. Ugh. Maybe crows would eat them up - I don't want to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by