1/3 of shed being converted into coop, ?s & PICS

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
My DH and I are disagreeing about something and I need you all to settle it for us. We have a 12'(l) x 10'(w) shed that we're going to turn about 1/3 of into a new coop.
clap.gif
It'll be about 4' x 10' with a run 32' x 12' run attached. I don't know how tall it is but it's up there. Anyway, DH says the shed will not need windows, that there should be plenty of ventilation due to the way it is built. I disagree and said we need to put some small windows on each side and cover them with welded wire.

The reason he thinks it won't need windows is because he built it, lol, and there is space at the top of the walls, between the walls and the roof.

Here are some pics of the inside where you can see the spaces he is talking about. I don't think that will be enough ventilation for them, do you? Plus, it gets scorching hot in there in the summer! I told him we need windows so the air can move through and there can be a cross breeze. Who is right?

10133_img_6000.jpg

10133_img_6001.jpg

10133_img_6002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me .....I would tell ( ask nicely ) my husband I wanted to err on the side of caution and just for the comfort of the chickens during the hottest months, I would want windows for that cross breeze you mentioned...but unless he has building skills , that might be a problem. If he does have building skills, then I would insist in them....LOL!
If he still said no, then I would just install some windows on my own.
tongue2.gif
Good luck with what ever you decide...
hide.gif

I'm not fond of being a referee between man and wife however, i do know something about coops so, here goes. I wouldn't want to spend one night in that shed if it was hot out. I'm with the idea of windows that open for air circulation. Sorry DH,,,,,,, Woody

added ventilation is always a good thing. Windows will also aid in the day night cycles of you birds. assumeing you want them to maintain laying year round. If you grab his saw he will most likely help( a mans gotta protect his tools)

There's a page in the learning section specifically about the importance of ventilation - might be helpful for your DH to read.

We're in the design phase here also and it's a very interesting project when both people have different opinions and each is certain they're right
wink.png

Quote:
We had the same issues at my house which is why I now build all the coops/houses/runs. I learned how to use power tools and just did what I wanted with no interference OR "suggestions".

The chickens/ducks are my hobby so it's only fair that I do what I want with their housing
tongue.png

Windows are a definite must, good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom