1/30/12 Set 18 Crele OEGB eggs.

CobraFnD

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
Can't wait till hatch day. Picked them up local, so this will be my first hatch on something other than shipped eggs. Hoping for better luck out of these!!

i'm excited for you! may be a silly question, but i've been on this site for quite awhile, and maybe its my own stupidity, but what does OEGB stand for? is it Olive Egger something or other?

Sorry... Been really busy lately and not able to check my own thread!!! OEGB= Old English Game Bantam. Here is a picture of one, however I only have eggs, so can not take pics of my own!

Well... Hatch day is tomorrow... I have 1 hatched and 4 pipped!!! Now I have to go to work all day. :( We will see what I have when I get home!

Sure wish I could figure out this bator. I have the new Genesis with the electronic thermostat. I had 6 hatch, and the other 5 died in the shell, and never broke into the air sac. I cracked them open, and they looked like they were fully formed. They had not absorbed the yoke, but other than that they must have died on hatch day or the day before. What could cause that? The temp holds perfect around 100, and the humidity was stable at 65 during lockdown. I kept it around 35 during the first 18 days. Any ideas?

Did you write down when you started the eggs in the incubator? The key to the whole thing is knowing how long they were in the incubator. That tells you everything essentially. When you set eggs make sure you write down the date and time of day they started. If they are pipping on day 21 or 22 your temperature has been too low. Think about it this way. If you were to set eggs under a hen at 3 p.m. on such and such a day. You could go back exactly twenty-one days later at 3 p.m. and every chick would be hatched. In fact some would actually pip on days nineteen and twenty; but they would all be completely hatched on day twenty-one. That should be your goal, completely hatched in twenty-one days; not pipping on day twenty-one.

All of the ones that hatched, hatched on day 19 and 20. They are bantams, not sure if they tend to be a little early anyway or not. This was my first time with them.

It sounds like your temp was great. I have better success hatching on days 19, 20 or 21. I find i have better hatch rates with humidity for the majority of the hatch around 50 - 55%. Of course the last three days bump it to 60 - 70% humidity. You might try that on the next hatch. Hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom