1/4 pekin 3/4 blue swedish, looks full pekin?

EllieandOlive

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
Just wondering the likelihood of this. I have blue swedishes and french muscovys, with one drake of each. I had a muscovy mama sitting on a mixed clutch of eggs, and two hatched earlier (normal time) and the rest were definitely muscovys and took 35+ days. The whole time I thought I had an early muscovy duckling and a blue swedish, based off of appearance. I've bred several rounds from my 1/2 pekin 1/2 blue swedish drake (looks full blue swedish in coloring, but has some pekin-ish shape) to my full blue swedish gals. All offspring has been classic blue black and splash swedish in appearance, even though they technically have 1/4 pekin. Then I get this guy who is HUGE and grew super fast, but is not looking like my french muscovys at all except in size. He looks exactly like a full pekin. So I can only assume that this is from my blue swedish parents and that 1/4 pekin gene went full pekin in appearance for this duckling? I was pretty confused for a long time because he didn't look like my french muscovys except the full white color and giant size. What are your thoughts? I'll post a picture in a minute when I go out to feed everyone!

Last edited:
Here is dad and the 8 week old.

Attachments

• 0413211557b~2.jpg
    0413211557b~2.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 0413211557d~2.jpg
    0413211557d~2.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 0413211557c~2.jpg
    0413211557c~2.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 36
Could it be Silver? The duck in my avatar is a silver. It results from two blue alleles. That would make your duck female as the males are usually white and grey. The white like a Pekin requires two recessive alleles so unless your Blue Swedish isn’t really a Blue Swedish, that seems unlikely. I do not know Muscovy genetics at all so just a guess.

Just looked it up and white in Muscovies is incompletely dominant. So, could your baby be a mule duck with a white Muscovy mother and the white recessive allele from the Pekin half of your drake?

Just looked it up and white in Muscovies is incompletely dominant. So, could your baby be a mule duck with a white Muscovy mother and the white recessive allele from the Pekin half of your drake?
I don't believe it is from the muscovy mom as they were seperated (mama muscovy and muscovy drake from the swedishes) and all the other babies she hatched were definitely muscovy. I just mixed up which eggs she was laying on and didn't keep track of them after she started brooding. She had 7 muscovy and 2 swedish eggs under her that hatched at different times obviously.

Could it be Silver? The duck in my avatar is a silver. It results from two blue alleles. That would make your duck female as the males are usually white and grey. The white like a Pekin requires two recessive alleles so unless your Blue Swedish isn’t really a Blue Swedish, that seems unlikely. I do not know Muscovy genetics at all so just a guess.
My blue swedish is half pekin half swedish. 8 week old in question definitely isn't muscovy based off of development and he hatched at 29 days instead of 35+. I just assumed early muscovy because he was a white baby lol! The others look like propery muscovys. Already getting pink and red above their bills and have black spots on their heads like the parents.

Back
Top Bottom