1.5 month old baby chick having bloody stool, and is not eating nor standing..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Muhammad123, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Muhammad123

Muhammad123 Hatching

Jul 17, 2014
    My baby chick was alright yesterday but from today's morning he is very ill..not moving , even not standing, and not eating, and with bloody stools....please help me as it is my only pet....

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Like cocci infection very heavy. Prognosis is not good. Remedies for such work only when bird still able to stand and eat. Post a picture of feces and your setup. Describe how you deal with bird each day.

Did you take it outside then bring it back in?

My efforts best to promote better outcome with next bird.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How many chicks do you have, how old, and where do you live? I agree that your chick has coccidiosis, and it and the others need medication such as amprollium, sulfadimethoxine, Sulmet, totltrazuril, and others depending on where you live. You may have to feed the medicated water with a dropper to the sick chick since they may stop drinking because of abdominal pain. Don't waste time getting the medicine. Cattle medicines are the same ones used for chickens, so they are available at feed stores or from vets in certain countries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: