1.5 month old chick looks like she's molting

Cswiggum

Hatching
May 29, 2020
My 1.5 month old flock of Speckled Sussex were recently let out into the run of their coop and today I noticed one that appeared to be gagging and was cranning her neck around a lot. When not stretching her neck off to the side and back a bit her preferred position is to sit there all scrunched up with her head close to her body. The feathers on her head and neck have the appearance of a chicken that's molting. Her chest also looks puffy in comparison to the others. She seems lethargic and disengaged while the others are quite active and scratching around her. I went in to pick her up and try to examine her and she barely moved and her chirping seems muffled or just very quiet. I also noticed a bit of drool come out the side of her mouth when I was holding her. This appears relatively recent, like within the last couple days. They always have access to fresh water and feed. A friend of mine suggested it could be lice, electrolytes, or coccidia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to help her feel better!

My 1.5 month old flock of Speckled Sussex were recently let out into the run of their coop and today I noticed one that appeared to be gagging and was cranning her neck around a lot. When not stretching her neck off to the side and back a bit her preferred position is to sit there all scrunched up with her head close to her body. The feathers on her head and neck have the appearance of a chicken that's molting. Her chest also looks puffy in comparison to the others. She seems lethargic and disengaged while the others are quite active and scratching around her. I went in to pick her up and try to examine her and she barely moved and her chirping seems muffled or just very quiet. I also noticed a bit of drool come out the side of her mouth when I was holding her. This appears relatively recent, like within the last couple days. They always have access to fresh water and feed. A friend of mine suggested it could be lice, electrolytes, or coccidia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to help her feel better!

Respiratory? Snotting nose runny eyes. I'm not up on much diseases. But prolapsed vent I can fix. Sorry Someone will be by to help you. Sneezing not a big AAAAACOOO sorted like psssst.

What are you feeding her? What bedding do you use? Do you see lice on her?
I didn't see any lice, but I'm a little suspicious of that. After I put her back down she seemed to be itching at herself a fair amount.

Could lice cause a chicken to drool?

I feed them organic grower crumbles for layers. I had to buy the Purina brand which I wasn't thrilled about, but everything else was gone. For bedding I had chopped down a bunch of dried tall native grasses,which they seemed to like.

what exactly are you feeding your flock? Check her crop first thing tomorrow morning to see if it's empty or squishy.
I don't think I'm mini molt at this age is out of the question, I'd be more concerned about the lethargy. Try giving her some electrolytes and see if that perks her up. Try to separate her and find out what her poo looks like. Post a picture and let us know how she's doing.

Chicks can get itchy with all those new feathers coming in. But if you suspect lice, you'll be able to see them, it takes a quick eye. And if one has if they all do. Pick up one of your healthier chicks and look real quick at the back end around the vent or under a wing near the skin. You should be able to see them crawl away very quickly, little tiny creamy yellowish dots. You can find pictures online.

Back
Top Bottom