1.5 week Lavender & Split Lavs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken stalker, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Here are my Lavender and Split Lavs babies that hatched 1.5 weeks ago. Any ideas? I think I have 2 lav roos (the little one in the front paniced and scuffed up its little comb) and 1 split lav roo (one is doesn't have tail feathers yet). I know its pretty early to tell just wanted to post pics [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

They're cute!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    with my own experience with these I say there is no way to tell. I couldn't tell my own because I swore my pullet was a cockeral because of the size of the comb.....but at 6 months old she still has no sickle feathers like the 2 roos. Good luck, hope you have a few pullets [​IMG]

4. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    OMGosh! Soooo cute!

You know, the one on the far right in the first pic has a more upright stance like a roo would, but they're so young. It's just too soon to tell by the comb and hackle feathers just yet, but boy, does he look like the one in charge, lol! Give it a few weeks and post pics again. I can't wait to see how they look then. Is this your breeding? I hope to have some Lavenders one day too.

5. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I agree. The one on the right I had already pegged as a roo...he's much bigger than the others. In the second picture the second on the right I believe is also a roo....second biggest. They are almost double the size of the other two.

They are from Harry Shaffer...I am going to start breeding them and hopefully (with the help of some wheatens) produce a Lavender Wheaten line. [​IMG]

6. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I agree. The one on the right I had already pegged as a roo...he's much bigger than the others. In the second picture the second on the right I believe is also a roo....second biggest.

Yep, sure looks like it. I've had a few Ameraucanas fool me before though. I have a pretty white male now to prove it, lol! Want him??????? Lol!​

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to young! Or at least I could never tell at that age. [​IMG] They're very pretty though! What breed? [​IMG]

Oh, Ameraucana, ok, never mind.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    chicken stalker ;p :

Quote:I agree. The one on the right I had already pegged as a roo...he's much bigger than the others. In the second picture the second on the right I believe is also a roo....second biggest. They are almost double the size of the other two.

They are from Harry Shaffer...I am going to start breeding them and hopefully (with the help of some wheatens) produce a Lavender Wheaten line. [​IMG]

your F1 will be all black (I was checking this cross out too since I have both colors). Your F2(if you breed F1xF1) has a beautiful lavender patterned isabel wheaten(that's what the genetic calculator calls it)as a possibility, I think it's beautiful [​IMG]
    good luck [​IMG]

9. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Your F2(if you breed F1xF1) has a beautiful lavender patterned isabel wheaten(that's what the genetic calculator calls it)as a possibility, I think it's beautiful

Anyone have a photo of that? It sounds gorgeous!​

10. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY

your F1 will be all black (I was checking this cross out too since I have both colors). Your F2(if you breed F1xF1) has a beautiful lavender patterned isabel wheaten(that's what the genetic calculator calls it)as a possibility, I think it's beautiful [​IMG]
    good luck [​IMG]

Yes, aren't they gorgous!! He is a link to one that I found in the UK. Lavender Wheaten Roo (UK)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by