1.5 week old chick pecking me hard

WendyTestaburger

Songster
Jul 7, 2021
NC
I have 6 chicks who are about 1.5 weeks old. Two of them want absolutely nothing to do with me- which is fine I don't force it. Two are curious and get held when they'll allow. The last two are my favs and are the first to run up to my voice/hand and get held often. There is one of the two friendly ones who is the most brave/cuddly who has even fallen asleep I pet her, but she's also started this strange behavior of pecking me HARD and tugging skin. It started with a freckle on my arm she went after and now it's wrinkles in my wrist. I'm just worried this will become an issue as she gets bigger and it actually hurts! Is there anything I should do to head this off?

Don't let her do this or the behavior may very well escalate. Try tapping her firmly on the head with a finger or immobilizing her when she does this.
OK, I'll try tapping. By immobilizing her do you mean pick her up and hold her wings and feet still or something else?

OK so I tried the tapping on the head and she is definitely more hesitant. The other friendly one is now starting to peck a little hard so I'll start tapping that one too. Could it be that they're bored? Should I put some grass in their brooder or a chick stick thing? I read not to introduce grass until you have grit and I can't start grit until they're 2 weeks right?

Could it be that they're bored? Should I put some grass in their brooder or a chick stick thing? I read not to introduce grass until you have grit and I can't start grit until they're 2 weeks right?
They're mostly pecking you out of curiosity, but some boredom breakers never hurt.

Grit can be given at any age (I don't know why bags say 2 weeks) - mine get grit as soon as they have their first meal.

They're mostly pecking you out of curiosity, but some boredom breakers never hurt.

Grit can be given at any age (I don't know why bags say 2 weeks) - mine get grit as soon as they have their first meal.
That's good to know, thank you! I've got them on manna pro chick starter, I was going to go with that brand chick grit by default but the only place I can find it is Amazon and it's expensive. Do you have any recommendations for other chick grit brand?

Mine (4 weeks old) also get grit as soon as they have their first meal, also they always have some veggies to play+eat, can keep them busy for a good while.

27218.jpg

That's good to know, thank you! I've got them on manna pro chick starter, I was going to go with that brand chick grit by default but the only place I can find it is Amazon and it's expensive. Do you have any recommendations for other chick grit brand?
I don't know the brand on my chick grit, I bought it from a bulk bin.

Really doesn't matter what brand grit is, it's generally just crushed granite so anything like that will do.

Back
Top Bottom