1.5 Week old Pekin Duck crushed foot and has a blood blister

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheOtherSideRanch, May 14, 2011.

1. TheOtherSideRanch

TheOtherSideRanch New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I was doing poultry chores this morning and when the waterer was placed back in the brooder it was placed on the 1.5 week old Pekin duckling's foot. He quickly was limping and you could see the foot had become red. After i finished my other chores i returned to check on him... the red foot now has a blood blister and i feel terrible. He i am assuming it is a he because its one of the largest ducks in the brood. He seems to move around when i get close but i think he is just scared. There is no bleeding or open wound of any kind, just a bad limp. Does anyone know anything i can do to increase recovery time? Does anyone know how long i can expect to see this wound heal? Thanks for the help

Banks

2. TheOtherSideRanch

TheOtherSideRanch New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Update: not that anyone is following but maybe this will help someone else down the line... Oliver as I have named him is eating and drinking, the blood blister is really swollen and full but he seems to be able to get through the pain. I have been giving him electrolytes and probiotics. i am hoping to see the swelling go down in three days and be healed in a little over a week.

Banks

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    [​IMG]
    Not too familiar with situations like yours, but maybe it is bumble foot ? a picture will help a lot if possible. Lots of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by