1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1.5 year olds not laying anything!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crooked Beak, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Crooked Beak

Crooked Beak New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    I have four chickens and they have totally stopped laying! They were doing really well, until about 2 months ago one of them got eaten by a fox. Since then I can not let them outside as much. But that should make them Stop completley. I thought it was the food, I found out while I was on vacation my husband bought strach for them and the house sitter gave them that only along with kitchen and garden scrapes. I figured that out and over a week ago I started then back on their reg. food. they get a tons of vergtables and scrapes right now too! help! I think they are mental.[​IMG]
    mp

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It could be they are getting too much fat in their diet. Try cutting down on the scraps a bit. Laying feed is pretty important if you want more eggs.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You may also want to check for eggs frequently, just in case they have taken up egg-eating as a hobby.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yeah, that too. Argh, egg eating is really annoying!

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Most birds molt right around 18 months. I bet you will see eggs here shortly and they will be bigger....... [​IMG]

6. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    My brahmas are the same age and have slowed to a stop here recently too. I believe they are getting ready to molt. If that's the case, we won't be getting any eggs from them for a couple months, you and me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by