1.5 yr hen not eating, diagnosed w/ gizzard atrophy

Chickenpapa77

Chirping
Sep 28, 2021
My sweetest 1.5 yr old EE hen has not been eating so took her to the vet and they said she had gizzard atrophy. Still awaiting a blood test to come back. Anyone had this happen and have successful treatment? The vet force fed her and gave me some herbivore critical care to feed her for a few days in hopes it would jumpstart her system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6861B10C-5CB5-4599-8ACF-00C6783DAF9C.jpeg
    6861B10C-5CB5-4599-8ACF-00C6783DAF9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
@azygous may have some good suggestions.

When the vet says gizzard atrophy, do they mean the gizzard is blocked, reduced in size...
I assume her crop is not emptying - what does it feel like?
Is she pooping, laying eggs?
What do you feed?

Read this article along with the comments section so you get up to speed when Carol comes online
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Shrunken in size. Her crop is emptying, but she is not eating. She does not have any crop issues. she only poops water because she is not eating. She pooped somewhat normally this morning as I force fed her with syringe. I have tried giving her pretty much everything a chicken desires to get her to eat something. Before this issue, she was happily eating Conway Organic Layer pellets. She has not laid an egg in about 6months. I assumed lack of eggs was from stress being at bottom of pecking order.

Thanks

Shrunken in size. Her crop is emptying, but she is not eating. She does not have any crop issues. she only poops water because she is not eating. She pooped somewhat normally this morning as I force fed her with syringe. I have tried giving her pretty much everything a chicken desires to get her to eat something. Before this issue, she was happily eating Conway Organic Layer pellets. She has not laid an egg in about 6months. I assumed lack of eggs was from stress being at bottom of pecking order.

Thanks

Her blood tests came back perfect. Maybe she is just suffering from a broken heart as my peace keeping 7.5yr old barred rock recently passed away from what I am guessing was a heat done induced stroke from the day it hit 113, even though I kept her iced.

Back
Top Bottom