1 Amerauncana laying rubbery, breakable eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianarae, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dianarae

dianarae New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Virginia
    I have one of my hens laying soft eggs. I first thought one of the chickens was an egg breaker out to get just her eggs. I recently realized her eggs are breaking after she sits on them, and they are sometime rubbery. All the other hens eggshells are fine. I do give them oyster shells. It also started happening when the production went down because of the weather.

Does anybody have any help. I know which hen it is because of the color (soft blue, the prettiest one).

2. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    mine is doing the same thing! she is an ee and has a blue shell too. i find them all over the coop, broken. Got one the other day seemingly intact. as i was holding it got squished by the other eggs, which are all nice and hard. I also have an other ee that is laying just fine. it's only the one girl. i give oyster shell and their shells, so i don't know what's going on too.

3. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
  4. dianarae

dianarae New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Virginia
    Thank you both for replying. At least I (and my chicken Sugar) are not alone. Are the soft eggs from a totally white ee or Amerauncana?

5. dianarae

dianarae New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Virginia
    My sweet hen has died. She was never a great layer but when she did they were beautiful blue eggs. She sometimes had rubbery eggs. I think she died because she was egg bound. If you have rubbery eggs please look for the advise I found, too late.

6. dianarae

dianarae New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Virginia
    Thank you Willow Branch Farms for the posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by