1 and 1/2 week old chick's pecking and drawing blood!

Stephv

Hatching
Jul 26, 2015
Central california
Hello completely new to raising chickens. I got 6 baby chick's from the feed store a week and a half ago. 3 buff orpingtons and 3 Americaunnas. They have been great since we got em. We have them inside a big tub with fresh food and water always available. I started taking them outside 4 days ago for about 30 mins in the morning when I clean their brooder tub. They have a 75 watt regular light bulb on one side of the tub because it's summer and outside is 95-100 and inside is usually 78. Normally they eat sleep poop wander around and repeat. Never any aggression except when I take them outside they fly and jump around on top each other which from my understanding is just them deciding pecking order. This evening I heard them chirping loudly so I went to check them out and there was one of the orps being chased around by one of the Americaunnas the orps butt was bleeding with a big area of feather fluff missing and the Americaunnas beak was all bloody! I first took the orp out and the Americaunna started pecking the other ones. So I took out the Americaunna and put the orp back in and the others started pecking the bloody spot. So I took her out again. I have separated the aggressor by itself and the bleeding orp by herself and the 4 others have been fine since. I'm not sure what to do! I mean do they have to be separated forever I've Google and many posts said once they make other chicks bleed they will always do this. Is this correct? Do I need to get rid of this chicken? When can I put the injured one back? Do I need to go get medicine for the wound? What could have caused this. The only thing different between tonight and any other night was my 6 yr old put the dogs night time kennel next to the tub. We have a little Chihuahua and a Doxie. Also When i took both chick's out the other 4 started pecking like crazy at a spot on the plastic tub. Help the feed store is closed tomorrow and not sure what to do or how to proceed thanks.

First of all, separate the one with the bloody wound. Then get to the feed/pet store and pick up some Blue-kote. Paint that on the wound and it will heal it while disguising it by dying it purple. You can try returning the victim to the brooder with the others, but remove it again if they continue to attack the wound. Place a docile chick in with the patient until it's healed for company.

If you've decided who is perpetrating these attacks, try to watch for a while for this to start up again. With your index finger, give the culprit a quick poke on its back when it begins to zero in on another chick to attack. Spend a little time time from to time watching and poking, and you should be able to curtail this bad behavior in a couple of days.

Is this occurring when the chicks are outside for a romp or just in the brooder? If it's just in the brooder, it's a sign you need to find more space for these chicks. If you don't have any adult chickens to cope with, I would go ahead and move the chicks directly into the coop, providing the necessary heat at night until they feather out completely.

I have had chicks started pecking for two reasons, boredom and too warm, I certainly agree with the bluekote, chicks will obsess on things and won't stop, they are attracted to the color red as well, so bluekote covers the blood and doesn't taste good when wet, I would also get them out where they have more to do and places to get away from each other.

OK thanks guys separated the bully from the rest and also the injured one by itself as well. I'm going to build a portable chicken run today to be able to let them out more. Today is suppose to be 90 something so I'll make sure they are in the shade. I also went to tractor supply and got a feeder block I will put in with them if I see pecking again. I got a separate feeder but they didn't have the waterer. I just wanna say I got all my initial supplies and chick's from our local feed store but they are closed on sundays. Going to tractor supply Holy moly they are so expensive. Anyways we are building the chicken coop its 9x6 and 6ft tall. But won't be done until around August 5th because my husband works one week on 13 hr days one week off and his next full day off is the 5th. I am ordering the hardware cloth off amazon but l wasnt in a hurry till now. The Bully has been chirping it's head off all night!

Sounds like you have everything under control, isn't it funny how bullies are always big babies

I'm so grateful for this website! two of my six 'babies' have blood spots on their backs and we didn't know what to do - but now we do! thank you, all of you who pitched in with answers!

Back
Top Bottom