1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 baby and 1 pip!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyrose, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    today is day 19 lockdown and i already have 1 out and 1 pipped but hasnt made anymore progress yet.it was a very clean hatch and the chick is healthy and very active.hatch day isnt until thurs.if the rest dont hatch til then am i suppose to keep that poor chick in the bator that long?shes almost dry.thanks for any advice..

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If no one else hatches After the chick is dry I personally would go ahead and remove. The little chick will need water and food.

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks jes,i was hoping the other one would hatch tonight.i dont want to shrink wrap the other chicks...

4. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    As long as they are hatching the chick will be fine to stay in there. Chick can survive on their yolk for about 3days after hatch. If your humidity is good, then one quick lift of the lid just to swoop the chick out should be ok. Just don't over do it. I have had a early hatch before and had to remove the single chick...the rest hatched without shrink wrapping. That is my personal experience.

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:it says my humidity is down to 60.i have all 3 wells filled and an additional container filled with water.i would have thought the humidity would be higher.

6. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Well.....on here in the information section they say "You want 50% humidity for day 1-18, then 70-80% for the last few days." Another site says "Set the humidity at 58 to 60% and then increase it to 65% when the eggs start hatching.", And yet another "to anywhere between 60-75%." And another "60-65% for the first 18 days, 80-85% for the last 3 days."

If you do a search and pick what you think is best. Somethings work for some but not others. With all the water you have in there I would think they will be fine.

Here is one site I found that is all about incubating. http://www.howtoincubate.com/ But it does appear that they are still working on adding stuff to the site.

Also did you calibrate you hygrometer? I have seen post on here about it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thanks so much.i put her in the brooder with a small mirror and 2 small stuffed animals.she seems very content.i went ahead and threw a wet wash clothe in the bator to get the humidity up some.with all that water in there i guess thats as high as its gonna get..lol now hopefully dome will hatch and she wont be alone...oh and yes i did calibrate..

8. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] Happy Hatching. [​IMG]

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Congratulations:jumpy Good luck. Mine go into lockdown on the 17th. [​IMG]

10. kyrose