1 baby keet hatched today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, May 24, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    after almost giving up on all the eggs I got in a trade-almost 4 weeks ago- 1 baby keet hatched today. The only 2 eggs left from that trade-none of the others (16) hatched, but this baby popped out quickly on day 26. The other guinea egg didn't look very promising when I candled it last time, but its in there with the baby.
    Strangely enough, my husband works with a woman who dates a man whose brother is a guinea breeder. So she called my DH today and said that they had some babies for us if we could drive an hour up to get them. i said, "let's go!" and we rushed dinner and hopped in the car and off we went. We took our daughter with us and stopped for an ice cream cone on the way, sped up Rt 80 in NJ and picked up the cutest assortment of 5 baby keets. They are a week old, and there are at least 3 different colors in there. Adorable and they fit right in my brooder box with the week-2 week old chicken babies. What fun! I'll wait a day or two to let this new baby strengthen up and maybe for its egg sibling to hatch(?) and then pop it in with the rest of the babies. They are all so cute together. I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm beat. I worked on a new outdoor pen today-it's not done yet, but getting there.
    Lisa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good job with your baby. I hatched 8 last week and they are so tiny!

3. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I'm trying to find an excuse to do something different and hatch some guineas. I need to build my case, first. Peacocks are definitely out, as are ducks/geese/turkeys (per the hubby, but he's a softy).[​IMG]

Tell me a little about them? Can they co-habitate with the hens, can I raise the babies along with my chicks? Are they loud (like my neighbors peacock.....which the city confiscated?) or messy? How large are the eggs? As a kid, I remember my grandpa complaining about guineas.....just don't remember why...are they aggressive?[​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your neighbor got in trouble with a peacock you will be the next one with guineas. They are very loud. The least little thing sets them off - day or night.

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Here are some pics of the ones given to us and the only one we hatched...boy are they fast and don't like to have their photos taken like the chicken chicks!
    #1-given to us
    [​IMG]

our one who hatched
    [​IMG]

another one given to us
    [​IMG]
    look at the cross on its head...so cool!
    [​IMG]

If anyone knows how to ID them by their colors, please jump right in and let me know? We have a few more dark brown chipmunky looking ones. No pics of them.

Lisa

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    The brown with alot of white will be pied pearl and the solid chipmunkie ones will be pearl.

Good luck with them!

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The super light one should be a lavander.

9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks! I was hoping that light one would be a lavender or powder blue! I don't care for the pied look personally, but there is only 1 and its a super sweetie, so I'll love it (already do!) no matter what it looks like. As long as it eats ticks, it'll be welcome here!

10. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    The light one could be a lavender. I thought it was a trick of the light making it look so light. My lavenders genearlly don't have stripes down their backs, but the do on their heads. If yours is silver, light grey, then most likely it will be lavender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by