1 bird, 4 different shades of egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 5, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Gwen has laid 7 eggs to date. Here are 4 of them - note the different colors! Despite the different colors, one thing is for sure: she's consistent on the size. Each one is 45-46 grams.

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I wish mine would just lay already. they are on strike!

HEY WAIT - your birds are laying!!!!! [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My bird. The others are still mooching.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have one that usually lays an egg that is mottled brown and pink. Sometimes less and sometimes more pink . . .

I find this really odd but maybe I'm just paying more attention to eggs this year - thanks to BYC . . . [​IMG]

Steve

5. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Is Gwen a cochin by any chance? My little cochin lays eggs that vary like that, too. So much so that I started to doubt myself on being able to recognize when the sussex had started!

6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Gwen is a black sex link. She's been laying for a week and you're looking at eggs numbered 4, 5, 6, and 7. [​IMG]

She's a great bird. I'd get another BSL in a second. She's friendly, quiet, doesn't make a peep when she lays, and isn't nearly as awful to my cats as the RIR is.

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I know what you mean. I love my BSL's. We have 18 of them laying right now. And, I've got two BR hens and two RIR roos so I can hatch my own now. They are really good birds.

By the way, congrats on the eggs!

8. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    digitS' :

I have one that usually lays an egg that is mottled brown and pink. Sometimes less and sometimes more pink . . .

I find this really odd but maybe I'm just paying more attention to eggs this year - thanks to BYC . . . [​IMG]

Steve

One of my Wyandotte mixes does this. I need to catch the culprit. She alternates and sometimes the pinks are almost true. I've noticed the egg white is 'milkier' the more pink the shell is.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by