1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 chick being raised by mama...but water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roosteroops, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    My hen hatched out one baby : will this new mama show the baby how and where to drink?? Or should I intervene and bring the baby into the house with a bulb and take it all into my own hands? I live in NC - so I would guess that she can keep the baby warm enough - it stays under her wing a lot. SO DANG CUTE! I don't want to just assume that, "mother is best". Any suggestions?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Are mom & baby separated from the other chickens? Is she sitting on more eggs? If the mother is paying attention to the peep and letting it get under her, she will teach it to eat or drink. I would go with the "mother knows best" unless she abandons it.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks can live at least 3 days without food/water immediately after hatching. Mom will show it.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Of course there has to be water that the chick can actually get to but you probably already know that. [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    She will take care of the baby chick and keep it warm. That is why the chick goes under her wings so it will stay warm when needed, You do need to have a waterer close that the hen and chick are able to drink from. Something small that the chick can drink from and not drowned. Plus chick starter/grower in a feeder, it's alright for the hen to eat this feed also.

6. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Oh Goody!! Then all is well. It is so amazing to watch this happen in "real life" and not in the incubator - that is cool too because you can see the eggs hatch. But, this is so natural. The baby just stays right by her head and the mama moves around as the baby does and covers it up whenever it peeps loudly. Awwwwww.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    if mother didnt know best, chickens wouldve been extint along time ago

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I just put a small water dish down low where the babies can reach it, loaded it up with marbles and filled with water. Momma taught them what to do!

If the food and water is there, she will teach them everything and take good care of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by