1 chick died this morning, another looks like it's gonna :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babypeeps, May 11, 2010.

1. babypeeps

babypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    update: Okay so this morning I lost one of my little baby silkies. I did all I could. I kept giving her water and I did what I thought I could do to make her comfortable. now my other baby silkie also is dying. I have been giving her water, but she can't hardly hold up her head. she's on her way out too I believe. Is this from the travel time from mcmurray's? Is there anything I can do? Or do i Just let mother nature take it's coarse. I don't want to keep losing chicks every day. Is there anything else I can do [​IMG]

2. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    How old are they?
    Are they warm enough?

3. babypeeps

babypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    they were hatched Friday mailed Saturday and got to me Yesterday morning.
    plenty of heat, food, water

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Sometimes they just fail to thrive, unfortunately, despite our best efforts. When I have chicks that are drooping I usually mix them up a little hard boiled egg (crumbled) and chick starter with a little water to make a sort of slurry for them. I would also recommend picking up Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron added!!!) baby vitamins, you can usually find them at any CVS/Walgreens/Walmart/Pharmacy. They are water soluble and I usually give them a couple drops a couple times a day (you can also mix it into their slurry).

GOOD LUCK!!

5. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] I lost a weak one the other day too, it is so devastating. I would try the Tri-vi-sol too. My chick was so weak it couldn't walk and just drooped over all the time. You can give her water in a dropper too. If she is with other chicks I would separate because mine were stepping on the sick one. Hope she pulls through and keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by