1 chick hatched for 24 hrs; 1 pipped 24 hrs, no change!?

jensaisquoi

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
Livingston, Montana
My dear BYCers,
It is only Day 21...

Yes, I have been sitting on my hands since yesterday a.m.'s hatch.
Yes, I have read all the warnings about opening the 'bator and shrink wrapping. But my humidity keeps dropping and it seems I can't keep enough water going through the airline tubing in my new Brinsea to keep it high enough (I'm in dry MT and I want it to at least 60, steadily, but it keeps dropping to 40-50)

What if I...
Open the bator reaaally fast, switch out the dry rag/sponge for wet ones, grab the realllly frustrated baby and the pipped egg to wrap in moist paper towels for a sec and listen for peeping...
big_smile.png

I had some low-ish (98 or so) temps when I started this hatch, in a borrowed LG--I transferred at 3 days to the new Brinsea Octogon (eco 20) and I had movement in about six of these eggs when I turned off the turner, but now they are DRAGGING their fluffy little BUTTS or else it may just be too dry in there. AAAgh

What to do?

Thanks,

Jen

I would open it and do whatever you could to up the humidity. I would even take the stalled egg out and carefully pull away some of the air cell end of the shell to see if it is shrink wrapped. I would mist the egg with warm water from a spray bottle, 24 hours pipped and the other hatched sounds like time to help a tiny bit. Take only TINY bits of shell off at a time, and if you see blood, stop. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, I agree! That is the problem--but what to do? I have it back up to 60, but as I said, it keeps dropping and I don't know if I should intervene. the first chick that hatched yesterday morning about this time hatched beautifully and is evidently healthy and just about to peck through the wall (downside of the brinsea is that she can see me and wants me to take her out!!! but of course it's fun to watch).

Once the humidity spike from that hatch had gone away, the numbers again dropped and I've been fighting to get them back up; hope there's still a chance...!

? any advice/feedback?

I have taken a wet cloth and put it in the microwave and warmed it up and put it in. That will increase the humity fast.

I also some time take a cup of water with about 100 degree water and put the egg in it for a few minutes. it will rock back and forth and pip. then put it back. this has helped for me. I read that method in here someplace.

pretty sure the pipped one is dead...It looks like it pipped on the wrong side of the air cell; very crowded in there...so it pipped to the outside. i don't see any sign of life or movement so I just stuck it back in case I'm wrong. I hope the other chick doesn't mess with it; i'm moving it to the brooder when I get back from bringing kids to school...
AAAA so nervous for the others...I kind of think I might be done-done though--with one lonely one !?

Yes, it is Day 21. And the pipped egg was dead. I have some others that are maybes that I'll keep in just because I know I had low temps to start. Also REALLY just amping the humidity as much as I can; misting if it gets below 60...I think it's just sooo dry up here.

And Thanks for the well wishes...

jen

Back
Top Bottom