1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 chick smaller and constant quiet chirping - NEW- VIDEO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Natalierose, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Natalierose

Natalierose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Hey guys- I have 5 chicks that are almost 3 weeks old.

1 of my 2 silkies is significantly smaller and for the last week or two has made its quiet little chirping noise constantly. It seems to be less active as well.

If I start treating with corid will it hurt the other chicks who seem fine?

Also, at this point should I use the preventive dose amount or treatment?

2. Natalierose

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I went ahead and added a 1/4 teaspoon of liquid Corid to their 1qt jug.

Can you guys think of something else that would cause a chick to be quite a bit smaller than its sibling and constantly chirping? Appears fine- still eating/ drinking...but not as active

3. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm having the same issue right now. Lost one 10 day old chick today and ow another that was thriving is now lethargic. I read constant chirping is a sign for cocci also. Wish I had some of that stuff you have. All I could try to do is give some yogurt. Frustrating. Theyre on medicated feed and I clean the brooder every day, and the water. This is my first flock

4. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Other than the constant soft chirping, do you notice anything else...runny eyes, raspy breathing, difficulty walking, leg or foot troubles, pasty bum? What about the droppings...anything different there from the others? Are you using a probitic in their water? Mind you, I'm NOT an expert and have only raised one group of chicks so I hope someone else can weigh in. Perhaps you could try posting your question in the Emergency section. Since babies are more susceptible to issues, I'm sure someone has had a similar experience. The more detailed you can be about what's going on, the better. I hope everything turns out alright.

5. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Check out the thread "To treat or not to treat for cocci" in the Emergencies section. Good info, including dosages & duration of treatment. Your local feed store should have Corid powder or liquid on hand. Try calling ahead to check availability and pricing (Tractor Supply and/or Agway should be somewhere close to you, eagrbeavr.)

6. eagrbeavr

Thank you, they are and I'll check out the thread. I do have a thread on this going on in the dick bird section, under I Think Im losing a second chick. And theres more details there.

So far 'no' to all your questions other than the chirping, just like the other. Too soon to tell about the droppings and eating. I just cleaned the cage, everything, again. I gave her some yogurt and some honey. Not sure if she really took either down. I'm keeping an eye on her

Thanks for responding, really

7. eagrbeavr

BRM, thank you for the thread tip! The pic of that chick with cocci is exactly how shes looking, well almost as bad. Im getting Corid tomorrow! And natalie, if I were you, I would use it too.

Honestly, thank you for turning me in the right direction. I couldve saved the first one if I knew.

8. Natalierose

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    No runny poo-

She does isolate her self a bit

less active

constant chatter/chirping

I am not sure if shes away/ loud because shes smallest

or if shes smallest/ away because something is wrong

9. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    That suggested thread is great, it is how I kept my little buggars out of trouble last year and followed it this year as well. It does not hurt the rest of the flock to treat for it, treating with Corid is much better then letting a potential overload of cocci kill a few off since the cure doesn't hurt the others in any way. If your little chirper doesn't improve after a few days of Corrid then it may be that she is just being picked on.
    Sometimes the little ones get bullied so they isolate themselves which then makes them lonely since they are flock animals. You could try a mirror in the area she likes to hang in the brooder, and a stuffed animal, or talk to your feedstore manager about the problem and pick up just one smaller breed chick. When you bring the new one home put a screen up between the rest of the chicks and put the loner and the new one together on one side till they get to be friends that way she has a buddy to bond with and not feel so alone. Keeping in mind you always run the risk of bringing home a chick with some health issue not yet introduced to the others..

10. Natalierose

Feb 9, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Thank you for the information @newmarch2014

I started treating with the corid last night.

It's just so hard to figure out if shes's acting chirpy/ isolated because she's small and getting pushed around

Or if she's small/ acting weird because shes sick

I'm treating with the Corid and This weekend I'm going to move my 2 silkies (the little one I'm worried about and the bigger one that's acting fine) into their own brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by