1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

1 Chick staying out of where they sleep

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KLIL, Jul 11, 2018.

1. KLIL

KLIL Crowing

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    I have 8 chicks that are now over a month old. I have noticed that all the other chicks will put themselves to bed in the roost where they sleep but 1.
    I have read that maybe its being picked on but shes the biggest one and is the one that pulls the other chicks into line when they are out free ranging or mucking up.
    Has anyone seen this before?
    And could this one be a rooster?

2. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    my 6 chicks did that for a couple weeks, ended up picking them up when they wouldn't go in, it worked for me, took almost a week though. And, when i added four more, they also refused to go in at first....I changed the ladder (thought it might be too hard to get up), added a fan (since I thought it may be too hot), made a couple more changes, and, after a couple days I went in to pick them up and they had followed the others up to bed....whew, don't know much about roosters...good luck. Hope it is just time.

KLIL likes this.
  3. KLIL

KLIL Crowing

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    Thank you love, I will continue picking her up and putting her with the rest of the chicks and maybe look at changing that ladder or making it a little bit more chick friendly and see if that helps. :)

4. Eggs82

Eggs82 Chirping

Apr 25, 2018
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I’ve got one hen that always refuses to go into the coop. She prefers to roost on the top of it instead. I go out every night, pick her up and put her inside. Been doing it for two months now. I think she likes it....

KLIL likes this.
  5. KLIL

KLIL Crowing

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    I get the impression she likes it also, because she doesnt try to get away or anything. She likes to be picked up and likes a cuddle so maybe that could be it.

6. KLIL

KLIL Crowing

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    Great news! I got home tonight and my chicks were all sleeping together where they need to be sleeping
    So hopefully that continues

Chick-N-Fun and aart like this.
  7. KateGoad

KateGoad Chirping

Aug 18, 2017
    I have one of those too. We've lost a few to predators over the last few weeks. Hoping she's just insecure for the moment.

She's laying at least.

It's been a bad month. Started at 17, down to 7. I was out of town and beloved husband was doing the chickening. Five chicks to a night time predator who got into a vent in a commercial coop. Two chicks released themselves on their own recognizance from a brooder and got eaten. Then we went on vacation. One chick pulled from under the run because neighbors caring for chickens missed putting one in the coop part. Rooster killed outside coop during the daytime, and one layer just missing.

We are going to the chicken auction at the end of the month to replenish with layers.

KLIL likes this.
  8. KLIL

KLIL Crowing

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    Omg! Im really sorry for your losses. Ive been really lucky so far with mine but we have a lot of wild predators here. Foxes, feral cats and dogs, a lot of snakes. So im sure ill have issues sometime and ill be sad when I do.
    Where do you live? If you dont mind me asking?
    And id love to see photos of your new chickens and old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: