1 chicken dead, another sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kjordanov, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    So I woke up this morning and found one of my chickens dead (just under a year old-already been laying for a couple months). This afternoon I checked on the chickens again and found my red rock X looking sick. Lazy not running away from me like she usually does, wasn't eating or drinking anything. I brought her inside and gave her a warm bath cleaning her back/underside. I took her out Dried her off and then tried to feed her some bread. She immediately started to peck at it but after a few pecks she stopped. I put her in our X-large dog crate with some strawberries (cut up), and some water. She pecked at the strawberries for a bit and then stopped, went to the back of the crate and crouched down. She's still in the same spot now. I saw on another sight if he has some sort of intestinal blockage to put some olive oil down we throat. I did with a syringe and she was a great patient.. She hasn't pooped at all. I'm not sure what else to do! :(

2. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    I just checked on her again and she seems to be breathing bigger than usual. Like her body is moving more to breath. I can't hear her breath though.

3. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Mom picked up some antibiotics. Will try and see how she does.

4. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    She's moving around more and she wasn't taking the medication as easily so that's a good sign LOL. She was pecking at the straw in the crate as well as the strawberries some more! :D

5. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    She pooped on me while trying to give her a bit more antibiotics. It was a very pasty yellow colour?

6. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Proud to say I saved my chicken!! :D she'll be going back into the coop tomorrow!!!

7. RyanFunFarm

RyanFunFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Yay! just seeing this now. What a grt update

8. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW

I know! I am so excited. :D

9. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    I guess the sickness wasn't fully out of her, she's coming back in the house. She has a very pasty butt and she's "relaxing" again :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by