1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 chicken dies every 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darin367, Sep 23, 2015.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    I am at a loss. a chicken dies about every other week for the last 3 months... I have treated with corid... treated with ivermectin pour on... treated with wazine.... i have owned chickens for 6 years and have never seen anything like this... they are mixed breeds, it's affecting all breeds... eyes look good so i don't suspect mareks......they don't have lice or mites.... no cough, no sneeze etc..no bloody poop..... birds seem fine, then i find a dead one in coop..... anyone ever experience this and what was the problem....

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It doesn't sound like coccidiosis (corid) or worms (ivermectin/wazine). Those don't kill quickly.
    Whenever one loses several birds from a similar cause, it's time for lab work. Send a bird to the state poultry lab for necropsy.
    Treating for the unknown isn't treatment.
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Are the birds dying the ones you've had for 6 years?
    What are they fed?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    none of my birds are 6 years old.. the oldest is 3... i replace 1/3 of flock per year... this spring i went a bit overboard and got 12 pullets from feed store... i've lost half of those and 2 or 3 of the older ladies... they are eating layer feed...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by