1 chicken keeps pecking me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freshegg, May 27, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I have 8 RIR and I who always rushes over to see me gives me an occasional peck It doesnt hurt but seems wrong. I named her pecker she looks younger than the rest well her and 1 other are smaller and comb is lighter. Any thoughts is she being bad and needs to be butchered or is she saying hi.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have about 5 chicks out of my 20 that peck, jump on and attack my hand quite regularly. I'm fairly certain they are all going to be roos... of course only time will tell. The others will peck out of curiosity, especially at my rings, but there is a difference in the ways they peck. It's hard to say which yours is without seeing it in action... maybe it's just being boastful, maybe it's just curious. But, either way, I wouldn't condemn it to the stew pot just yet [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a barred rock that likes to do that...she (I hope) is not "bossy" with the other hens but she just loves to run over to my hand when I put it in the brooder and peck. I'm hoping it's not a roo!

4. TheChicInnKeeper

TheChicInnKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I have a white leghorn pullet who will eat greens and corn out of my hand and will peck at my hands even when they are empty. She actually hopped onto my shoulder Sunday! If you hand feed anything to your chicks I think you risk getting pecked every once in a while.

Don't judge her too quickly! She just might be very friendly!

Cyndi

5. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    my black australorp chicks were attacking everytime someone put their hand in the brooder. So we started chasing down the offending parties and holding them and babying them......... amidst their shrieking. [​IMG] Now they rarely peck at hand and when they do we just repeat.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LOL I just poke at my offenders with my finger until they finally give up. They are getting better, but they are still very cocky!

7. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I have two that peck at me. They are usually pecking something off my hand or trying to get attention. The two that peck stop when I let them on my should or hold them in my arms. They are the friendliest hens just love my attention. If I am gardening out in the yard they have to be near me...if they are in there hen house they watch me through their window. When I open the door they are the very first every single time to greet me. I think they just love the attention.

8. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    Ok she has been granted imunity from death row. she is approx. 1 year old and isnt pecking hard or constant just a here and there daily. I do have a 2 kt diamond on the hand she always pecks maybe she wants it LOL. She better get laying tons of eggs if she thinks shes getting one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by