1 chicken lays thin shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ESofVA, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I have 1 Comet that lays an XL eggs, sometimes double yolked. The shell is thin and if I don't collect it soon after laying it gets crushed by the other chickens laying their eggs in the same nest boxyes, they have plenty of boxes, they just mostly like to sit in the same place although they do occasionally pick another. None of my other chickens lay eggs as large or as thin shelled as these and they all get oyster shell as well as some egg shell.
    Her eggs have no lumps or wrinkles but they feel likNe sandpaper! Anyone know why? I am changing out some of my flock this fall and think as much as I hate to, that this should be one that goes.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Yeah I was thinking calcium deficiency, but that's out of the picture...
    Did you buy the comet, or did you incubate it? If you bought it, where did you buy it? Because it is probably a genetic problem.

4. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I bought it from a feed store in the town where my oldest son lives. I don't know who they order from.

5. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Yeah. It sounds like it is genetics. She will most likely lay those her whole life. :(

6. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Geez!! Last week she laid one with no shell at all. My others are all laying nice eggs with excellent shells on them! I have 10 new chicks for laying hens and a lot of the ones I have will be switched out this fall when the chicks begin to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by