1. Cock fighting or playing? 2. Secrets to getting 6 week old back

doIreallylikeeggsthismuch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
I have two questions.

What I thought was a hen and what I am pretty sure is a rooster appear to be doing a little cock fighting. None of the others participate but the two chicks fluff their feathers up and bump chests. I am not worried about this but what I am concerned about is I was hoping the one was a hen. Is this a sure sign that she is not a hen or is this just normal play for 6 week old chicks?

Second question is, I let the girls out in the run but to get them back in the coop takes an act of great agility. Any secrets on getting them to go back in the coop??

gig.gif
My hen did that last summer with one of her hatch-date brothers! He & she became a pair. Guess the chest bumping could be a little adolescent "chicken love"?

Quote:
This is normal behavior...pullets and roo's do it. They are establishing a pecking order. Mine started in their first week. I now have 9 week old, 6 week old and 5 week old chicks. The 9 week old chicks still do it...so far none have taken it to the point of drawing blood.

Good luck with your babes...they grow up very quickly.
frow.gif

My grown chickens still do the bumping sometimes but it is never serious, a few bumps and they are done. As for the getting them in the coop wait til almost dark and they should go in on their own. Good luck.

If I want mine to go in- all sizes and ages- I get a scoop of scratch and go in the lot and call here chick chick and they all go in for the treat, Good Luck, Teresa in WV

Mine go in on their own at dusk. When my chicks were small they never ventured far from the coop, at first, and if they felt afraid they would run back to the coop. Do you have a light on in the coop? That also helps them to put themselves to bed at dusk.

The play fighting they're doing is called "sparring". All chicks do this, male and female. Sparring does not mean they are all roosters. Personally I love to watch this. It's like the "who blinks first game" They are trying to exercise their independence and establish a "who's on top" game. It's normal innocent playfulness, but if they start drawing blood it's another story.

The 2nd question you said "back in the coop takes an act of great agility".....Not sure what you mean. If they cannot get up into the coop then make a ramp or stack some boards. How far up is their door from the ground?

My pullets (various ages) spar to sort their pecking order. I've seen it more since I moved the geese and cornish xs to a separate pen.

As for getting the flock into the coop -- try turning on the coop light at dusk and offering a favorite treat in the coop. Use a keyword that tells them they've got treats in there such as "coop." I suspect chickens are smart enough to learn just like dogs.

Back
Top Bottom