1 coop with different areas for different birds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swedishfish, May 8, 2009.

1. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? I have Black Wyandottes and Buff Brahmas right now, and am thinking about getting some silkies and some quail. I need to build a new coop to replace the one that's falling apart and would like to keep everybody separate, but close. I don't want to build four coops - I haven't even built one before! Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ah c'mon, by the time you are done, you'll want four coops!

3. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    The coop I have now isn't really a coop. It's a run divided into four, and half of each section is closed in on three sides. My brother used it to keep quail, chukars and pheasants. So I guess I could just make four coops, put them all next to eachother in a row, and make four runs right behind them....But I'm not a builder! I'm worried I'll mess them up, or my chickens will be too crowded, or I'll make really big coops and they'll all freeze...But I guess if I decide not to get any more birds for a while I can add room for them easier if I make separate coops.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My son built my coop from an old carport frame. It is 12.5 ft x 24ft He divided it into three. Each section is fenced in The chickens can see each othr but can not get to each other. He then put a fenced in run around the front of the building. He divided that into three as well. This gives me an indoor coop for my polish,cochins and orpingtons. He has since added onto the back to make three more coops for additonal birds.lol

5. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Here is mine hope it helps

6. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    Your coop is totally awesome! I don't have that kind of space though, so i'll have to shrink it down a bit...thanks for all the advice everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by