1 copy dominant white over something red roo + black hen. What are possible offering?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
My rooster is a dominant white with red leakage on the wings and streamers. I will be breeding him to black (carrying recessive white) hens. I think 1 hen is starting to show silver leakage in the crest now that she's molting.

In theory if he passed on dominant white to black, then the chicks should be paint right? Can the paints turn out with leakage? What would happen if he didn't pass on dominant white? Would the chicks be black with a lot of gold leakage?

Trying to get a better understanding of what color chicks I'm expecting next year.

Last edited:
In theory if he passed on dominant white to black, then the chicks should be paint right? Can the paints turn out with leakage? What would happen if he didn't pass on dominant white? Would the chicks be black with a lot of gold leakage?
Yes, that sounds right to me.

Yes, there could be red or gold leakage, whether they have Dominant White or not.

You might also get silver leakage on sons, if the hens have silver. Silver would be obvious on black but not on birds with Dominant White, of course.

So far his chicks have hatched cuckoo, blue and one paint. The majority were blue though.
He was bred to black and cuckoo hens.

So far his chicks have hatched cuckoo, blue and one paint. The majority were blue though.
He was bred to black and cuckoo hens.

Those blue chicks are interesting. You hadn't mentioned the rooster having blue (because of course it's hidden by the white), but he must if you are getting blue chicks from those colors of hens.

You might have some sex-linked chicks in that cross. If the rooster does not have white barring, then any cuckoo chicks would have to be males. Chicks with no white barring could be either gender (from the black hens) or females (from the cuckoo hens)

But it can be hard to tell if a chicken has white barring when they have large areas of white. So it's a good question whether your rooster has the barring gene or not. You might be able to tell from his chicks: if he produces any cuckoo chicks from solid hens, or if any of the cuckoo chicks are female, you will know he does have one gene for white barring, and that would mean his chicks are not sexable by color.

Back
Top Bottom