1 day new chick mom - pasty butt already!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shookyjr, Mar 18, 2017.

1. shookyjr

shookyjr Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    SE Massachusetts
    Hi, everyone! We are brand new at this - literally brought the chicks home yesterday - and one has pretty bad pasty butt that I can't get off!!! Any suggestions?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

First order of business is to get the little one cleaned up -- warm water (on a soaked cotton ball or immersing the bum directly) will soften the fecal ball and allow it to be removed. Be careful not to pull as the skin around the vent is very easily torn. Once the area is clean, a dab of Vaseline, olive oil, etc can help to prevent future build up of waste.

A few things to consider in preventing pasty butt -- brooder temp, feed, etc. Overly warm brooders can cause an increase in the instance of pastybutt. Some folks report less pasty butt when using fermented feed. I like to offer soaked feed (just regular feed with enough water to make a nice mushy gruel) and find the extra hydration to be beneficial in many ways, and have noticed decreased instances of pasty butt when using it but not enough to make a cause/effect statement, imo.

1 person likes this.
  3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi, and [​IMG]!
    What you should do is soak a paper towel in some warm water, and apply it to the messy area. If that doesn't work, then you may have to immerse the chick's butt in warm water to loosen the poop, then you can *carefully* remove the mess with a paper towel. Then, you can take Qtips dipped in a little olive oil, and dab it around the vent to prevent it from happening again. (There may be some displeasure from the chick, but removing the poop is necessary.) Be sure to be very careful,
    Some preventative measures- Always have water and chick grit available.
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    On important note -- if you're clean up leaves the vent exposed due to the down being wet/ matted, be sure it has fluffled back up prior to putting the chick back in the brooder with the rest of the chicks. An exposed vent that has just been cleaned is bright, pink and VERY attractive to inquisitive pecking by the other chicks -- this can lead to the area being damaged/bloodied and from there it devolves into a cannibalistic disaster.

2 people like this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, shookyjr, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Awesome advice from Ol Grey Mare so I will just wish you and your chick the best and thank you for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under shookyjr [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you and your little one all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] some folks feel that a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water (only use glass or plastic bowls) will prevent pasty butt. I don't know if that is so. You could put "Pasty butt" in the search box and several items should pop up.

1 person likes this.
  8. Neeser Fam

Neeser Fam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    Minnesota
    A few people have stated to use Vaseline or antibiotic around the vent area too. Won't that goop up the area? Sorry, new to all this myself!

9. vachick15

vachick15 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC! You have some advice already, so I just hope you like it here and learn lots about chickens!

1 person likes this.
  10. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Great advice from Ol Grey Mare!

Best of luck to you, hope you're enjoying the chicks!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by