1 day new chick mom - pasty butt already!

OMG thank you for so much advice! I was a little afraid of hurting the poor thing. It took a lot of soaking, and some cuddle time in a fluffy towel, but I think my wee girl is okay now. :) :) :) This is definitely on my list of "things I never thought I'd be doing"! Of course, I also said "no chicks in the house", but their cuteness won me over and here they are in my sunroom.

OMG thank you for so much advice! I was a little afraid of hurting the poor thing. It took a lot of soaking, and some cuddle time in a fluffy towel, but I think my wee girl is okay now.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
This is definitely on my list of "things I never thought I'd be doing"! Of course, I also said "no chicks in the house", but their cuteness won me over and here they are in my sunroom.

That happens...a lot, lol.

Good job on cleaning her up!

I'm so sad. Our little baby chick died tonight that kept getting the pastey butt. My daughter is so heartbroken!
They are eating, drinking and it is about 91° in their box. Are we ding something wrong?

Thanks Telia, I'll check that out. I've got a hen that is broody but hasn't had babies, to bad she can't foster. I'm really hoping we don't loose any others!

One potential cause for pasty butt is keeping chicks too warm. Make sure the brooder is large enough for a portion to be completely unheated so that chicks can rid themselves of excess heat if they need to.

I'm so sad. Our little baby chick died tonight that kept getting the pastey butt. My daughter is so heartbroken!
They are eating, drinking and it is about 91° in their box. Are we ding something wrong?
I'm so sorry I missed your post! Life got busy and I forgot to check in. I'm sorry for your loss and hope the other chicks are okay! I keep thinking that my kids will be devastated if anything happens to any of our chicks. :(

Back
Top Bottom