1 day old chick. Might be sick? PIC Attached

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 10, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My chicks started hatching yesterday morning. The first chick that hatched was really active and seemed ok. This morning she seems to want to sleep and sleep standing up. She seems to want to sleep constantly. She will stand up normally and then you will see her head slowly start to fall till it touches the ground then she'll either sleep for a bit or stand up again. Most of the time her eyes are closed but she does open them sometimes. Yesterday she acted like a normal chick. Do you think she's sick? I've attached a pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    That's fairly normal for day olds. She should get more active in another day or two. They all fall asleep standing up sometimes.

3. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Thanks, this is my first hatch so I'm not to sure what's normal or not yet.

4. lamNervousNellie

lamNervousNellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I wouldn't worry.. I have silkies that do that but I swear they are just being stubborn about laying down to go to bed! You know, like when you were a kid and mom caught you sleeping on the couch and told you to go to bed and you replied "i'm awake!" [​IMG] If you've taken the chick out of the bator and moved it to a brooder, you could add electrolytes or a pinch of sugar to the water for a little boost. I did a pinch of sugar with my TSC banties (bought them the day they arrived) and they were much less lethargic afterwards. Good luck! [​IMG]

P.S. Congrats!! [​IMG]

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Looks like a tired and sleeping chick to me... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by