1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 day old chick with 1 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atikin, Oct 11, 2012.

1. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    can I put a day old chick with two week old chicks and mum?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Maybe, but mom may reject it. Make sure where she sleeps is COMPLETELY dark and slip new chick under her. Be there in the morning to see if she accepts it or rejects it, and be ready to move quickly.

3. atikin

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Mum is a silkie [​IMG] and the day old chick came froma sussex egg so relativley big and the other chicks are bantams so will probley be around the same sizeish

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I had this happen with my broody hen because two of her eggs were a week older than the others. She killed one of the babies as it was hatching out of its shell, pulled its head off, but I put a towel over her cage and she allowed the rest to hatch.

5. atikin

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    ouch!

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Your hen will know that baby does not belong. They know by sight, smell, and sound. I personally wouldn't risk it, even with a silkie, unless you can make it pitch black for a whole day so she can listen to it peep...but then the other babies won't be able to find their food/water. However, mama has already taught her babies and will be moving on with other things so the newcomer will have missed those essential lessons in the first days of life.

7. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    I had a buff orpington hen sitting for 2 months and snakes kept getting them right before they hatched and we kept giving them to her but one finally hatched and we were scared so we moved her to the house and she continued to sit and ended up with three babies and she wouldn't adopt one of the same kind from the incubator. After a few weeks we sold her babies and we let some chicks (that were slightly younger than the ones she hatched) run around outside and she immediately adopted them. I think it depends on the hen :) silkies tend to be less violent birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by