1 day old chick; wry neck, crippled or just need some time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KZ, Apr 11, 2011.

1. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    I have a chick who is about a day and a half old. She was trapped in her egg for 2 days after pipping and zipping half way. I noticed her when I was cleaning up the incubator - peeping like crazy! I used warm water to remove her from the egg and get the dried membrane and yolk off of her. Her right leg was stuck to her right wing with dried yolk. I put her back in the incubator to dry off and she seems healthy, except she seems crippled.
    Her neck seems to be twisted to the right - she always holds it curved and then limps as if her right leg dosen't bend. She holds her wings out to balance while she pushes forward with her left leg then swings her right leg around. I have checked the chick and the neck moves easily to the left when I put my finger on it, and her leg seems fine when I am holding her and checking it. She can bend and push it against my hand. Yet when I put her down, she assumes this twisted neck and stiff limping postion. I am at a loss. If she is destined to live this way I will cull her, but if this is something she may grow out of I will just give it some time. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. KZ

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Actually I was down watching it, and it seems more like it can't hold it's head up. Is this wry neck? I would think it's due to being cramped up in a shell for 2 days. This curved head down posture is causing it to be off balance. Think it improve on it's own?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I haven't had to deal with wry neck but have read alot about it, most say with vitamin supplements they will improve, I'd give your chick a chance since it managed to stay alive for 2 days in that cramped shell. good for you to help it get out. heres a link that may help you decide what is the best treatment for your chick, good luck and please post and let us know how it is doing
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=464937&p=2

4. KZ

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    I started giving the chick Poly-Vi-Sol (I probably get more on me than down it's throat) and despite all my attention she is getting better! Her neck looks better tonight and she is running around with the other chicks. Her balance is 100% better. Her neck tends to curve to the right when she is about to fall asleep, but when she wants to get somewhere she looks straight ahead. She holds her head up almost all the time now. I looked up several threads about chicks born with crooked necks and most of them improved since it wasn't due to disease or to skeletal malformation. Just a crampy shell.

I have a feeling that within a week I won't be able to tell there was a problem! Yea! [​IMG]

5. phoneman

phoneman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumter s.c.
    what causes wry neck. how do chickens get wry neck

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    How did your chick turn out? I had one that pipped in the middle of the egg instead of the big end, and it was curled up weird but it did hatch...with wry neck, a spraddle leg on one side, and the other has its toes all curled up in a fist... I have splinted the spraddle leg to the other leg (I have done that before with success) But Ive no experience with wry neck....hoping it fixes itself...and the balled foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by