1 Day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mother Hen55, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Mother Hen55

Mother Hen55 New Egg

Jan 1, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG] Can someone please help this confused lady, I am new to this chicken thing and I will be the first to admit I don't know that much so I decided since you all seem so helpful I would ask you. This week I will be ordering 1 day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and they ask about Mareks vaccination should I have them vaccinated or not, or should I buy medicated feed at 9.00 a 5# bag. Also I have ran across many web sights where they tell you different amounts to clip their wings but don't say when . So when is the best time to clip them my neighbor has 13 week old chicks and he says not to clip them till 20 weeks but wont they fly out of the yard. I anyone can set this old lady straight it would help:lol:[​IMG]

2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    First of all [​IMG]

Second: There are some people who vaccinate and some who don't. I haven't gotten mine vaccinated, and haven't had any issues. I just keep new ones away from the old til they've been in quarantine for a while.
    There are A LOT of people on here who are awesome about this. They'll soon come to your aid!!!!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC!
    This question of whether to vaccinate or not was recently discussed here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=126428

As for clipping wings, I haven't a clue. It never occured to me to clip my chicken's wings, but then again I have a heavy breed that can't fly. Even if mine could fly, they'd only succeed in going from one side of the fence to the other vs. just walking around it.

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

most good hatcheries will tell you that if you own a backyard ( small) flock,, then theres really no need to have them vacc. for mereks.
    clipping the wings time,,,, when they fly is the time to clip them,, then again when they fly up to the fence lol,,, and only clip 1 wing, if you clip both they can still make it up to a 8ft fence rail [​IMG]

last but not least... [​IMG]

5. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I called my extension office and they said they haven't had a report of marek's disease in our county in years so I won't get mine vaccinated.

I am still wondering about the medicated feed - will have to investigate that some more...

As far as wing clipping goes you don't clip off the actual wing bone, you clip the feathers. So as long as there no feathers there's no clipping.
    [​IMG]

Of course all of the info above is from somebody that hasn't had a chicken since I moved out from my parents place ... 17 years ago! LOL

6. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Oh wait, I just looked up the coccostuff:

Coccidiosis. A parasitic protozoal infestation, usually occurring in damp, unclean housing conditions.

So if the main purpose of the medicated feed is to prevent this then I am hoping my chicks will not need it because a) I want to keep their housing clean and b) even when they're out and about there will be 5 chickens on 5 acres in dry and sandy Texas so not much chance of damp and muddy, etc.

What else is it medicated for?

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

you dont need medicated chick start,, just plain ole chick start.. use the medicated if they are weak, scrawny, or if theres a "cold" going round them.
    and cocci is in the soil everywhere,,and ive never had it here either,it will only spring up round here if we get real wet, and have a yucky run [​IMG]

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    $9 for 5# of feed sounds like a Really high price. I bought 25(or maybe even 50)lbs of starter feed for around $10. So, no, I wouldn't recommend purchasing 5# of chick feed for $9. Buy it at your local feed/farm store. It will save you lots. Also, unless you have Really large flocks of chickens where illness is/could be a problem, there isn't much need to vaccinate. Congrats on your new order of chicks!!! You Will post pictures when they arrive, right?!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by