1 day old leghorns do I need to clean them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Such an exciting Saturday we had. Here are my 1 day old White Leghorns - out of 11 surviving at lockdown - 6 hatched out (1 died after piping b/c of rough housing by the others, 4 more never pipped) I have the incubator still in lockdown but will clean it out today after making sure there aren't any stragglers.

3 chicks were born around 11 a.m. and 3 chicks were born around 11 pm. One of the later chicks has a weird thing going on with it's back and butt where it seems to have crusty stuff that isn't going away- the other two late ones seem to be drying okay. My question is do I clean the chicks off or will they clean themselves naturally?

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I see the crustiness your speaking of...I'm guessing there might have been a humidity issue with your bator as its looks pasty. I have never cleaned or washed chicks after hatching no matter how crusty they look because once their baby fuzz grows out ( a week or two) the crustiness comes off with it. Now if it is crust near the vent preventing it from going to the bathroom-yes I will clean the butts or near the eye-preventing it from seeing properly-congrats on your hatch!

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you - I was waiting to see if it fell off overnight and noticed that the earlier hatchlings are almost clean. Do you think the humidity was too low?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thank you - I was waiting to see if it fell off overnight and noticed that the earlier hatchlings are almost clean. Do you think the humidity was too low?

yes-that is my thought or you opened the bator alot during lockdown? yes??

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yes, I had opened the bator 3 quick times to remove the original 3 hatched chicks earlier in the day & their eggshells b/c they were causing a big rucous kicking eggs & trampling others. But I moved really quickly - but I think the humidity was out of control for most of the hatch. I've ordered a better hydrometer/thermometer for the next time.

He is doing much better today - the crusty stuff is mostly off and he's looking better. I checked and it was loosely hanging onto his back - so I left it alone. Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Three days old and they are all doing great so far! The one with the weird crusty stuff is almost all fluffed out too.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by