1 day old not walking yet *update pics*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My last runner hatched yesterday with help. It is not walking yet. Is this normal? It is scooting around though. I went to put a low bowl of water in it's little brooder and it scooted accross and BIT me. It was the funniest thing. I figure it has a zest for life as I was being caustiously optomistic about it living. I did go in and see it standing one time this morning. I'm thinking it didn't get as much leg use getting out of the shell so it will need to work up it's muscles a bit. I want to get it out with it's siblings as it is 4 days younger than the youngest and a full week younger than the first to hatch.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Some of mine often take a while longer to get up and be able to use their legs properly.. especially if they have had a hard time hatching. But it can also be a sign that something is wrong- I had one hatch earlier this year with a hip problem- he was able to walk in time- but has always had a limp because of it. Hopefully your little one will come good with some more time.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. I got in from work and it ws doing a little better. I had it on papertowels but it really looked like it was having trouble gripping. So, I put a towel in there. It did much better and was able to stand and wobble a bit. I'll see how it is tomorrow and then (if good) move it outside with the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It such a cutie. yellow V shape on the top of its head. This is a keeper. [​IMG]

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    He's gorgeous [​IMG] So glad you managed to hatch one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by