1 day olds with Mature birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thereverend, May 22, 2010.

1. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I was wondering if i bought 1 day old chicks and put them in with the older girls i have
    would the older girls mother them? I want to get 25 chicks from a hatchery and was thinking
    about putting them in with the mature girls i have please let me know how you guys feel about this
    also if i do this would they need special food or would the older girls feed them?

2. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I would put them in a brooder. The older girls will probably peck them unless some are broody. If one of your hens is broody you could try to stick some under her at night. The chicks need starter feed.

3. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    I assume a brooder is simply a smaller yard? how long do you think they should stay in there before putting them all togother.. ?

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
  5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would not recommend doing that. Your adult birds would probably kill the chicks. You need to have them in a brooder with a heat lamp (temps around 90 deg.) and starter feed. You can work on itegrating them with your mature flock once they're fully feathered [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would not put them in with your grown birds ... they will kill them! Trust me I've learn the hard way!!!
    You need to put them in a brooder with a heat lamp and some food/ water etc. [​IMG]

7. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    Ok. thanks for the help guys.. I am learning... I am new at this whole chicken farmer thing..
    but i plan on becoming very good at it. So what about if they have chicks of their own? will they kill them as well or will they
    take care of them by themselfs?

8. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    If they hatch their own chicks, then the mother hen takes care of them. I have 2 mother hens with 4 chicks now, and they do it all! They protect them from the other hens, get them to food, water, etc. It is wonderful - but you have to have a broody hen to do it. You can not force "broody", they just do it on their own. Welcome to "chicken world" it is a great place to be! This sight will give you all the information you need!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by