1 Down, 15 To Go

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Status Crow, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Status Crow

Status Crow New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    Greetings all. Long time reader, first time poster.

We have 16 girls, mixed heavy breeds. They're approximately 6 months old and we just received our first egg last week! It's definitely been exciting and made all the hard work well worth it.

What I don't understand, however, is that a single RIR has been laying, but the others haven't followed suit. Is this normal? Can one be so developmentally ahead of the others (and ahead of the other RIRs, in particular)?

Just trying to make some sense of this, and I'm sure we're just being a tad overanxious. [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Hang in there, the rest of the girls will catch up. I sometimes think that they stagger their laying out just because they know we're sooo anxious for those first eggs! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    yes...gracie tortured me for a long time....she hid her eggs very well! Recently she became so close to brooding over hidden eggs...I thought she wasnt laying as much but she was laying in two separate places....little sneaky girls!!!

4. Status Crow

Status Crow New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it's just a matter of time now until we've eggs coming out of our ears. [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congratulations on the first egg!!
    Like the name too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by