1 Down More To Go

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by herfrds, Dec 17, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Got a coyote yesterday that was just behind our house.
    I was leaving for town and had forgotten something so when I pulled up in front of our house and looked up there was that coyote coming down the hill towards my birds and dogs.
    Calmly walked into the house grabbed my .243 and loaded it. Snuck out the front door and got around to the south wall of our house.
    Not too sure where I hit him but he spun a full circle and was off like a shot.

Scared the daylights out of my oldest dog. He hates guns.

Got home last night and as the kids and I were unloading the pickup there was a coyote howling really close by. Scared DD so she ran into the house. DS got his .22 mag.
    got our dogs barking and the coyote was howling back at them. Could hear several more howling and barking around us.
    DS had to take some stuff to the new house and he saw something come into the edge of the yard light then move back into the shadows. He didn't shoot because he couldn't tell what it was and did not know where our horses or my milk cow was.

Don't mind them killing rodents but coming in that close there are too blasted many of them.

Birds were locked in their house every night.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sounds like your family will be busy clearing the predators out for a while.Hope you don't have any losses!

3. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Sounds like you could spend some quality time in a good hidey hole with your .243 singing the squealing rabbit blues. If they're hungry, they'll come running to their last dinner bell.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now your in Montana and I don't know how many of those things you got. Here in Syracuse, which is pretty populated those things are coming closer and closer to humans.

Now me I don't own a gun but what I've been doing is "marking" my territory when I close up at night. I think I've heard them but not of late. I even have some boards leaning up against one of my coops and mark those. It only works with us males do have the guys do their duty and mark those trees. If your far enough from the neighbors they can do it in the day time too.

Of course if you can shoot them all be my guest. I've no problem with that either.

I wish you well,

Rancher

5. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Going to get one of those calls and go hunting.

Rancher we have had them coyotes come in after my dog before. Called the federal trapper out, but they cut his budget again so no flying.
    Took him 3 tries to get that coyote that kept coming in after my dog. It seemed every time I saw it it would take off running before I could get a crosshair on it.

the marking here does not work. DH has tried to before.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    herfrds - Glad you got one, keep up the good work! [​IMG] I actually wanted to comment on your signature. I'm an EMT and it made me laugh.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I got a Bobcat not long ago. It killed several of our Pheasants. I think it was after the chickens but I have an electric fence around the chickens but the Pheasants coop is next to our house so I didn't I would need one there, surprise... I had head something a couple of nights before that I'm sure contacted the electric fence. When something touches it they make their yelp sound. Maybe it was the Bobcat then he found the Pheasants. Since that I have heard of other people either loosing birds to a Bobcat or seeing other Bobcats in the area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by