1 duck in a flock of 4 chickens?

Lucia Medina

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2019
Starting a community flock and currently trying to decidet best types of chickens to get.
I think I've done pretty thorough research on the chickens part of it, but my question here is; would it be okay to have just one duck in a flock of 3-5 chickens?
I heard that chickens and ducks can usually live together just fine, but that they usually coexist by sticking to their own species. The ducks will hang out with the other ducks and likewise with the chickens.
Would it be a bad idea to have just one duck? Would it get picked on or lonely with just chickens around? Would it need at least one other duck to get along happily?

Thank you in advance for any help...

It really would be best to have at least two ducks. They are flock animals and really need to be around a friend of their own species. The duck would hang out with the chickens because it needs a flock, but it would absolutely prefer and would be most happy with companions of its own species.
I assumed that would probably be the case... Thank you :)

I know you posted this in September and it is now January so not sure if you have already moved along in your decision, but I personally have 3 chickens and 1 duck that I raised together from hatchlings that are 4 months old now and have always gotten along just fine. I have one Rhode Island Red, A Plymouth Blue Rock, and an Isa Brown and I believe the duck is a Khaki Campbell. I have never had any issues other than the duck is a crazy messy, it has gotten water every where since day one, but you learn to assist the ducks needs while keeping the chickens happy as well. They all sleep together and stick together in the yard, since raised from chicks I believe they all think they are one in the same!

Back
Top Bottom