1 egg = 0 egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harli50, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    My new pullet laid her first egg yesterday but to day...nothing. whats up with that!?!? she laid it before i came home at 3:30 and still hasnt laid one. [​IMG]

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

just like government projects, they sometimes take a while to start up. is she leaning on a shovel?

RobertH

3. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Sometimes when they first start to lay, they might be inconsistent. Maybe tomorrow? [​IMG]

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

An egg a day is not a given. I have 10 hens and am getting 6-8 eggs each day although today I got 9.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

do not expect one every day yet. My be tomorrow... My new layers did every other day for a eggs, and then, every day... And a day off here and there. Also, its winter, so, you should be lucky feeling that she even started. I have read some peoples pulleys don't start till spring, even through will be old enough long before that...

6. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks for the quick responses!!
    she laid it in the nest box with no bedding so i put some in and she wont touch it.... if that makes a difference

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

no, if she's gonna lay, she's gonna. They prefer something to spin a nest in...

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

Truth hurts! One of my Dominique hens laid her (and my) very first egg in early October and hasn't laid another one since then. Come spring, she and her Sister have a lot of making up to do. The only thing predictable about chickens is their unpredictability.

9. LOL, I remember being that excited when mine first started laying. That 1st one is like getting a 1000.00 dollar egg [​IMG]
    Unfortunately as stated above it wont happen every single day...even when she gets going full speed. With a healthy and happy egg laying flock in spring and summer you can only really expect 75% the number of hens in eggs every day. (6 eggs from 8 hens) That is doing well under ideal circumstances. If you get more, consider it a bonus.

10. PS..I almost forgot. Check EVERYWHERE for eggs the first week or two they start laying. Many times they get confused when they see that thing coming out for the first time. [​IMG] You may find that she has laid more someplace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by