1 egg 3 days ago...no more yet

hoosierhen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
Indiana
One of my chickens layed an egg 3 days ago (The first one ever) and since then I haven't found another one. Is it normal when they first start laying not to lay often at first?? I was wondering if the others were eating them or something.

I think it depends on each individual bird I have a cochin that started to lay early last week and so far one every other day. But others are not so lucky and i have heard of very sporadic laying when first starting to lay.

I had a pullet lay her first egg on Sunday I think and none since. Sometimes I think it takes a while for them to get into the swing of things. Either that or she laid one egg so she didn't go to the sale, and now doesn't feel the need to lay anymore
lol.png

I've got cochins that are past laying age, and they started last week. I got 2 eggs out of 13 hens. Since then I got one 3 days later and then one more today. It takes them a few weeks to get adjusted to laying. Their system has to get in gear so to speak. Also, this weather makes them even slower. They will start getting regulated soon.

Finally!!! I went out to the coop at around 6pm and there they were! 2 eggs!! They weren't in the nesting boxes, but hey I'm not complaining! I'm up for a daily egg hunt!

Thanks!! I took them over to show my mom. She has been very involved with my chickens since the first day. She can't walk too well, but manages now and then to make it to the coop.
When I walked in to her house today she said- "let me guess!! Eggs!! We both were wondering out loud about what I did with all my time before I got these chickens!!
It was a real lift to our spirits. We have been on a downer- we just got the results back yesterday from a PET scan she had- she has lung cancer again- after being cancer free for 3 years. We needed those eggs today!!

Back
Top Bottom