1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 egg a week

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tifbee, Aug 17, 2016.

1. tifbee

tifbee New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    I have 6 hens who are just coming to laying age. I believe it's my only barred rock hen who had layed the first egg last Sunday! I was so excited, however I got discouraged again when I didn't get another egg until the following week on Monday. Same size and exact same light brown with darker freckles egg so I think from the same hen. Is it normal for the eggs to be so spaced apart for just beginning to lay?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It can indeed - things can be a bit hit and miss at first. Soft shelled eggs are also not uncommon. Not sure on your management system, but if they free range, you may want to have a scout around the garden to see if she has laid elsewhere. It seems that when pullets first begin to lay, they don't necessarily recognise the internal warning signs of imminent laying, and can lay almost anywhere - thats my experience, at least.

CT

3. tifbee

tifbee New Egg

Aug 16, 2016
    Thank you for your info! They aren't free range, but you are right, the first one was found in the middle of the pen. The shells are perfect, just a little small. So cute though! Thanks for the reassurance!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Most welcome [​IMG] her eggs will get larger as she matures. Ive had a perfect egg the size of my thumbnail from one of my new layers in the past

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by