1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 egg, and then nothing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jstlitlome, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    I had my first egg the day before yesterday! It has now been 2 full days, and no more eggs.

Is that normal?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Very normal. It takes time for most young female's reproductive systems to get on a good schedule, chickens are the same. Irregular laying schedule, double yolks, no yolks, shell-less eggs, shells with weird ridges/bumps, these things are all normal occasionally and just glitches she'll work out.

1 person likes this.
  3. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you.

Its a little agonizing isnt it?

I refuse to buy more eggs. I expected to see one this morning, but all there was was a touseled nesting box.) Almost 3 days now. [​IMG]

I need to stop looking 4 times per day! (I cant help it! haha!) I think its the watched pot thing!

4. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    ok, I'm now at 4 full days with no eggs since the first one!!!!! [​IMG]

I'm beginning to think someone snuck that first egg into our nest to play with me.

Anyone else think that's weird?

5. mommy of two

mommy of two Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    LOL!! I thought the same thing! We called my mother in law, who is our neighbor, a few weeks ago to see if she snuck an egg in the nest as a joke but she didn't. We didn't see another egg for a whole week! She layed it two Sundays ago then layed another one on the next Sunday. We said she is a "holy" chicken! Three weeks later we are seeing one egg a day out of 9 chickens! I wish they would get to producing!

1 person likes this.
  6. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Yay! I went out to the coop this morning to see two ladies on the nest. We got our second egg! This one from a different chicken.

The top one is today's from Elmyra, my Black Austrolorp. The bottom is my first, I think from Virginia, my SLW.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. farmerswife2012

farmerswife2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    Hi!! I am so confused!!

We had an egg on July 15th from one of our hens & we were so excited! It's now Sept.1st and haven't had another egg?? She acts fine, eats & drinks well. We have checked her for a egg and don't see any stuck? Please help!! Suggestions??

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    That's odd. How old are your chickens?

9. farmerswife2012

Jul 1, 2013
    She is 6-7 months old.

10. farmerswife2012

Jul 1, 2013
    I have 6 hens. They are all 6-7 months & none are laying??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by