1 Egg, Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    There is a shortage of eggs since we are currently rehomeing our roosters. So, I am hatchicn 1 egg.
    Does anyone have extra advice of anything i could do? I really want to make this one hatch! Thatns, heres a pic:
    P.S: For some reason, im putting in a lot of water, but no condensation is showing. Whats up with that?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Anyone?

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Advice on hatching? Or singleton chick advice? Do you plan on having a house chick? What about other chicks for her?

Same as any other hatch. Be mindful of temp and humidity. I am unsure of your incubator, but does it have vents? Is the temp/humidity staying level?

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I don't think you should ever see condensation in an incubator. The temperature should be higher than the humidity, so there shouldn't be condensation. Do you have a way to measure the humidity in there too?

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Not currently, how much are they?

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Singleton chick advice!

7. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I don't think they're very expensive. I picked mine up at Petsmart or something in the section for reptiles. I think about it like this: I live in southwest Florida, where our humidity is usually in the 80% range, but because our air is hotter than the humidity, you don't go outside and get condensation on you. When you wake up in the morning here, though, and the windows and grass and cars have water on them, it's because the temperature dropped lower than the humidity's number. I can't guarantee that's right, but I know that broody hens aren't wet when they get off their eggs.

I don't have much advice about keeping singles .. I had one come from one hatch, the only survivor, and I went and got 10 day-olds the next day because I felt bad that he or she was alone. Hoping others have good advice about house-chickens! Good luck!

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:With that particular incubator, fill one leg with water. I would go with the one closest to the light. You could fill two legs. Untape the vent hole in the top to get some air in there. Turn 3 times a day at least. During the last 3 days, fill up the third leg and place that egg in a cupcake cup or something to keep the chick from falling through your wire if it hatches.

I currently have a house chicken but that's only because she has a sore foot. She got a cut on it and to prevent pecking and dirt even with a wrap, I moved her in the house for a bit. She's pretty spoiled right now and would rather be with me than the other chickens. Since she's been healing nicely, I move her out with the others during the day in a separate cage in the run to give her some socializing time. At night (when the wrap would mysteriously disappear off her foot and I'm hoping is easy to digest since I never found the darn thing), she comes back into her house cage and yells at my DH for carrot slivers.

9. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    In the winter I get tons of condesation, because we keep the house cold, but in the summer I don't get any, because the house is hot. Sigh. want a strawbale house sooo bad... [​IMG] [​IMG] recession

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No condensation should show. . .

Any advice? Umm, don't hatch one egg next time. [​IMG] Chicks NEED company. I'd buy one from the feedstore or off craigslist or something when that poor baby hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by