1 egg with chick pipped into air sac, but not the shell

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
my last swap egg hasn't pipped yet-end of day 21, and all 4 others have hatched. I saw it moving a little in the air sac a bit ago when I candled it. My partner said her Roo (Their daddy) throws really super sized chicks that she has had to help out of the shell before, but I don't know whether to do it tonight, wait til tomorrow or not to help it at all. how? when?
Lisa

First, some eggs can take up to 23 days to hatch, even if other have hatched already. Secondly, pipping a hole in the shell will not help the chick to breathe, it will slow down the hatching progress. See here:

Quote:
I strongly recommend reading ALL of the hatching advice in the sticky at the top of this forum. It will help explain a lot and occupy you long enough to give the chick a chance to hatch on it's own. I had a chick come out 2 days after all of it's siblings on my last hatch. I think you are going to do far more harm than good if you interfere with the hatch. The end of 21 days is nothing to be concerned with.

Richard

Thanks, I thought that, but had to ask. My partner said they do that sometimes as the chicks from that Roo get so big they have to help. I've still got others hatching in there so its no big deal to wait. 1 more duckling is hatching as I type this. I just hope other silkies and showgirls start pipping and hatching too. No signs of action on those other eggs yet.
Thanks again. (I had reda that prior to this also and found it very interesting-I love the biochemical/biological end of this!)
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom