1 extra vocal chick????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bankeny, Jan 29, 2015.

1. bankeny

bankeny New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Long beach, Ca
    So I have 1 chick that is 10 times louder than all the others. It chirps continually even when it's asleep. Seems happy and acting normal otherwise. Is this any indication of it being a rooster or that it will be a loud adult bird????

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I doubt it, more likely it's uncomfortable in some way.

3. bankeny

bankeny New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Long beach, Ca
    Thanks it seems happy but I will be keeping an eye on it. Should I separate it from the others?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't, it will squawk non-stop then.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree with CC. In my experience, when I've had a chick like that, it's often a warning of something not quite right. Keep a close eye on that one. Be sure it doesn't have a pasty butt, be sure it's eating and drinking well. Do you have any electrolytes? Vitamins? Probiotics? I'm not saying that any of these measures will or will not make a difference, but might be worth trying. You can make your own electrolyte solution or buy the packet at feed store, use Poultry Nutri-drench or infant Polyvisol drops (without Iron), and you can use Fermented Feed, or buy the packets of pro-biotics at the feed store.

6. bankeny

bankeny New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Long beach, Ca
    Thanks for the info. It's still eating and drinking but the others are already getting noticeably bigger. It does have a poopy but and I keep cleaning it. I do have the electrolytes.

7. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 on what ChickenCanoe said about being uncomfortable. Just keep an eye on the pasty butt and that your chick continues to eat, drink and poop. [​IMG] Hello from socal. There is a southern calif thread here if you want to pop in and introduce yourself there as well! It is great to have contacts in the area [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. bankeny

bankeny New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    Long beach, Ca
    Thanks

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Definitely get some probiotics in it.
    I haven't had one with pasty vent since I started using this stuff a year or two ago.
    http://www.gro2max.com/

All chicks get some of that, vitamins and something for energy in their water for the first couple days.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by